Tags

, , ,

I have a new quilting buddy… no one else but my very dear friend Susan, with whom I worked for many years before we both retired last year.

I have sewn all of my life and when Susan retired, she asked me if I would help her learn to quilt.  Since the spring, she has made three projects, each with increasing complexity.  We have worked together so that I could “guide” her.  I promise that guiding does not equate to bossing.

Susan’s daughter-in-law asked her recently if she would make a baby quilt for a good friend and Susan jumped on the idea so we could work together again. I was happy to join her as we have had such fun working together. We both like new challenges and she is extremely accurate in her sewing… maybe even more so than me.

Katy, her daughter-in-law, sent us a picture of the quilt she wanted us to make.  It looked interesting, even though the picture she found only showed the bottom right eighth of the quilt. This certainly was to be a challenge for us. I imagine it was probably a full or queen quilt and we wanted a quilt about 45″ square.

Katy also choose this Riley Blake fat quarter pack that I bought at this spring’s sample spree.  It’s perfect for a Florida beach babe, don’t you think?

Ever so grateful that Susan and I are both mathematically oriented as trying to figure out the size of the quilt squares was pretty difficult.  We knew we needed 2025 square inches of fabric to make up the quilt.

Susan figured out how many square inches of sashing would be included within that 2025 sq. inches, and exactly how many square inches made up the areas outside of the sashing. After subtracting these two numbers from the 2025 sq. inches, we had to calculate was the size of the squares within the sashing. It became a process of elimination. Initially we tried to figure what would happen if we created 16 nine-inch squares and tried different numbers until we ended up with the goal of 16 7-3/8″ squares. Inside each of those squares was 16 triangles.

It all worked well until we got to the area outside of the sashing. In the original photo of the quilt, we could see that the triangles on the outer edges of the quilt appeared to be different sizes. and now, we understand why… they are. We have to make two of the triangles in the quilt larger than the the other triangles on the sides. It took us about an hour to figure out the fix today. Our heads almost hurt with all the thinking we had to do. We found that our calculations did not work as planned and we need to make two triangles at 7-3/8″ and four at 6-3/4″.

From the pictures below you will see the progress we have made earlier this week.  I’ll be posting picks of the finished quilt top as soon as it’s done (hopefully later today).

At our age, it’s great to have two brains working together and is so much faster as there are two of us working together… one pressing, one sewing.

Advertisements